Saturday, January 17, 2009

Despite what they all say...

I just came back from a much needed vacation. I worked my arse off through the holidays, and although it's been slower than it was, I'm still staying a bit busy making jewelry. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, but I think there's always a reason to buy jewelry!!

About my trip... I went to Vail, Colorado for a snowboarding vacation with my husband, without my 2 year old daughter. I was gone for 5 days, and that was almost too long to be away from the little munchkin. My hubby and I lived there for 5 years. Maybe it was the altitude, or maybe the jaw dropping sight of the mountains, or being a smidge closer to the stars, but living in Vail was my inspiration behind Throwing Stars Jewelry. It's really where it all started for me... love, life, passion...

We did a little bit of shopping. One of my favorite past times that I don't get to enjoy much with an active 2 year old. I went by my old favorites, like the Silverthorne Factory Stores and strolled by my favorite name brand stores. I used to go to the Factory Stores and do some damage. Not totally crazy, but I would get my long sleeve shirts, sweaters, shoes, underwear in one fell swoop. I could always find that perfect item and feel like I could have bought a whole lot more. I mean the selection was fantastic! The reason I'm going into such detial is that I was so entirely dissappointed. It's like with this whole "economy" garbage people have given up. The quality was waaaay down and the stores were pretty bare. Shelves were empty and the attitude of the sales associates were off too. Just doom and gloom feeling. It's hard to describe, but I used to feel a jolt of adrenaline when I'd walk into these stores, ready to take on the shopping experience. And a couple of days ago... not so much.

The truth is, I don't have as much money to spend... I happen to be like the rest of America caught in this economic scariness (not crisis, just scary), but I also have a lot more responsibilities than I had when I lived there. We have a mortgage and a daughter. 2 major responsibilities that I really don't want to screw up, period. However, I still want to shop for goodness sake! It's like the female version of football. Just because your team might not make it to the Superbowl, doesn't mean that your not going to watch the game! I don't watch sports, but you get the point. Retailers, don't give up on us!! I still have some money to spend, and when I'm going to spend it I want to know I'm going to get something worthwhile. If these retailers could get it through their thick heads, I would have bought more if they had the same quality they had a couple years ago. Honestly, I could just keep on going with the complaints. But the real lesson is, my dissappointing shopping experience has made me really think about the jewelry I'm making and selling.

I feel silly, but I almost feel like I should make a pledge. "I, Amy Goldschmitt Leff, promise to make jewelry of the same quality, if not better, that I used to make before. I promise not to give up." Retailers, please please please don't give up on us! Seriously, the economy will turn around, like it always does and people will start spending more again, like they always do. It's all good, seriously!


The photo is taken from Vail Mountain, looking down into the Vail Valley. Frickin' beautiful, right? No wonder I was, and still am inspired by it!

No comments: